In the last few weeks I’ve seen a few people trying acrylic pours. I have a spare canvas I’d tried something on and it hadn’t worked out, some old foam cups, and some PVA glue I don’t like. Tony has CRC in the garage. So, all the key ingredients at my fingertips.
Huge thanks to YouTube artists who have so generously shared their process. The basic process for a dirty pour is
- put a push pin in each corner on the back of the canvas so the paint drips don’t stick it to the work surface
- mix glue, water and paint in individual cups – ratios vary from artist to artist
- mix a double batch of white
- add a little silicone (such as CRC) to each OR as you mix into the final container
- pour layers of paint into your final pouring cup
- add silicone if you didn’t add to each colour
- once you add silicone run a paint brush handle or something through once or twice – do not stir
- cover the canvas with some of the runny white paint
- put the canvas on top of the cup, tip it over and give it a moment for the paint to run
- remove the cup and watch the paint spread
- tip the canvas to move the paint around
- heat with a heat source such as an embossing gun to remove bubbles & create ‘cells’
- leave to dry – it will take days…
Mine hasn’t dried yet, so it will be interesting so see how it looks.
I haven’t done a lot of art this weekend, by my standards anyway. I did have a big clean up of my supplies, plus some card making, but just the two journal pages.
The CMP2018 one I kept this simple because I love using my Tim Holtz stars stencil & it seemed to fit the theme. Distress Oxides, Nuvo embellishment paste, while acrylic paint.
The other one is another of Alison’s photos in my fav Dina Wakley journal. The background is Tim Holtz Distress Oxides on kraft. This has been a tough week with Alison, she was very confused when Tony visited, and he had some legal stuff to see to, so it’s good to document the happier times including her childhood.
I normally do my own background for the CMP weekly challenge but this week the teeny dog in a teacup appealed so I incorporated it. I used Distress Paints, Tim Holtz stencils, and Distress Oxides.
The monthly Dylusions challenge was to use pink and snowflakes. I used Dylusions paint in Cherry Pie and Bubble Gum, a Di Cut girl, and Hero Arts unicorn ink. The page was inspired by one of my staff, who always look wonderful no matter what the weather!
I’ve been binge watching videos about Distress Oxide techniques and one first Tim Holtz then Jennifer McGuire shared really appealed to me. I ended up combining it with some other techniques and it’s produced some great card backgrounds.
This works best with Ranger gloss card stock (needs to be gloss) as photo paper tend to go sticky when wet. I did multiple layers of Distress Oxides using my craft mat and spray bottle, and added pattern with stencils to lift off colour, add colour, seal with Micro Glaze to protect the underneath colours or heat emboss the wet ink with clear embossing powder, and finally added flicks of colour with the Tim Holtz Splatter Brush.
Here’s what I ended up with once the layers were done:
As you use more and more layers and water the colours get very chalky, which is the point of the Oxides and it’s a lovely effect. Here’s the thing though – if you add a thin layer of Micro Glaze to the dry card then burnish it the colours brighten up and glow, and somehow all the individual layers show. It’s quite impressive. Here’s how they looked once I’d added the Micro Glaze and buffed them (not the same cards but you get the idea I hope):
(These photos were taken in bright daylight and there’s lots of shadows – sorry about that!)
The reminder first. A friend of Tony’s just rang. A few weeks ago he fell off the bottom rung of a ladder and fractured his skull. He was flown to Wellington and is recovering well at home, but the ending could have been very different. He was incredibly lucky. Life is fragile – hug your people.
Onto the art. The journal page uses an old family photo, Distress Oxides, a Tim Holtz stamp set, a scrap of Graphic 45 paper, and black Archival ink.
The smaller journal page is the latest #CMP18. I used Dylusions paints, a Graphik pen in teal, and stencils.
It’s a four day weekend so, even after Tony and I went to Palmerston North yesterday, I’ve had heaps of art time. And I still have a spare day for paperwork, housework (maybe) and more art. How good is that!