LD17 week 6

This week’s challenge was to use multiple layers; there was also a great quote but I haven’t used it because I want my pages to document our lives. This is our grandson Rory, who is learning to drag race just like his Dad, Adam (seen filling the tank). I used gesso, Tim Holtz Distress paint, an old painting, gelli prints and fabric trim.



CJS17 day 17

Today’s artist was Rae Missigman, whose work I love – I have a few of her stencils and often watch her videos. Her process has inspired mine over the years, so this was in my comfort zone. I started with gelli printing straight onto the page using Golden Fluid Acrylics, then cleaned off the stencils over the top. I added layers of Neocolours, stencilling, collage, mark making etc.


Accidental success

As I finished each set of Gelli Prints the other I cleaned my plate by covering it in white or off-white paint, laying down my paper and letting it dry. When you pull the dry print, all the old paint comes off. Often these are interesting prints, with little bits of colour and ghostly shadows of what has come before.

These two really appeal to me, with their pale colours and little dabs of paint. Typically, I had used the back of some printing proofs – now I wish I had pulled them on better paper!

ghost 2



Gelli play – making painted paper

I’ve been playing with my Gelli Plate, a bunch of Stencil Girl stencils and some Dylusions paint to make painted paper. I like the Dylusions paint for gelli printing – it gives good coverage and doesn’t dry too quickly, even in the hot weather. Oddly enough, it dries fast in my art jounal. These painted papers have at least 2 layers, some have 4 layers, of paint. The prints will be cut up for card making or kept for in my art journal, collage projects, etc.

Gelli print cards

This afternoon I tried out a technique I’d seen on the Gelli Arts youtube channel. It didn’t go quite go as planned; the weather was too hot and I didn’t have Golden Open (slow drying) paints – but the idea is good and one I’ll come back to. As I worked I cleaned my brush off on a spare piece of cardstock.

The prints weren’t good enough to use on their own, but cut up with a stitched-edge die (thanks for the loan Denise) they made great general use greeting cards. Scanning them made me realise how dirty the scanner glass is, but you get the idea…