This is the third year I’ve entered Erika’s International Signature Exchange. It’s great fun and the signatures you get back are amazing. In previous year’s I’ve used the signatures without binding them because I don’t know how to do Coptic binding or similar. This year I decided that done is better than perfect so this afternoon I grabbed some linen thread, a needle, some beads, and a pile of signatures. My work would be enough to make a book binder weep (and not with joy…) but done is better than perfect. I have a journal I can use, and a sense of having made progress. So, feeling stuck on something? Jump in the deep end and go for gold…
I just posted this on my librarian’s blog, and so much of it applies here, that I am going to re-use it, with a few changes. Here goes:
For a while now, months in fact, I have been mucking around and squandering my time. Enough already! I have things I need to get done:
- complete my signatures for the 2013 International Signature Exchange
- create new works to send to Italy for Legato in 2014
- update my work on my own website, Etsy, Redbubble etc
- create some new, smaller works, to sell within NZ
- start marketing my artwork again (it’s been a while)
- And I have a whole bunch of library-related goals too!
So, enough messing round, enough excuses about grieving for Mum, enough napping in front of tv in the evenings – just enough already. Today I am writing a list and getting back on track.
I’ve starting making trial signatures for a swap I’m involved in. We each make 11 sets of signatures, and send off by the 20th Sept, and signatures back from a variety of amazing artists. You can see more about it here.
I have been playing with some quite heavy watercolour paper, and have decided it is a bit *too* heavy. The other day I ordered some lovely paper from Gordon Harris, and I’m going to have a play with those tomorrow. I’ve got some mixed media paper, rice paper, watercolour paper and one other – escapes me for the moment just what it was. So far I have stuck with black, white and red, and have been using foam stamps, old credit cards, a spray bottle, stencils and marker pens. The mark making is too dark for the look I want; tomorrow’s lot will be a bit less obvious. Here’s what I have been doing so far: