Every year I choose a word that is my keystone. In previous years I have had – mapping, balance, determined, calm and, in 2016, intention. Each has served its purpose, constantly bringing me back to what I want for myself for the year, both at work and at home.
This year I mentioned ‘one little word’ on Twitter and people suggested hope, courage, and strength. They’re all good words, but the one I keep coming back to is “prepared”. It just feels right. So, in 2017, I will be PREPARED
- to spend quality time with Tony
- to devote time to my art
- to ensure I eat properly
- to use the tool of my weight loss surgery wisely
- to make my lunches even when I don’t feel like it
- to drink enough each day despite the nausea
- to use the exercycle despite the pain
- to put enough time into my own professional development
- to say no to things that I don’t want in my life
So often what we want is just out of reach, and what’s required is more effort or a deliberate action. In 2017 I believe being prepared will help me achieve more of my goals.I think it’s a good word for my professional life as well, and will write about that at on my KiwiLibrarian blog.